Saturday, September 20, 2014

Where are they now! Teen Writer Nick Raczkiewicz


We caught up with one of our 2013 Teen Writers, Nick Raczkiewicz, to chat about his camp experience and to see what the future holds for this high school junior. Nick is beginning the school year by embracing new experiences because he believes, "There is so much opportunity in this world that I want to explore all of it. This past summer I enrolled in the Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week (PFEW), a program that offers in-coming high school juniors and seniors a unique and challenging opportunity to see what it is like to run their own business.


What have you been up to since completing the program?
I've survived sophomore year, and learned a new coding language, Visual Basic, which is a College in High School course. I honestly haven’t pursued writing to the extent that I’d like, but I’m always coming up with new ideas. I have also enjoyed Chemistry this past year, and I hope to continue with it in my junior year.
What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned?
I have primarily learned to become immersed with whatever I am working on at the time. If I don’t truly enjoy the project that I’ve taken on, my work will reflect that, and taking pleasure in my work is always important to me.
How would you describe the Teen Writer experience?
I really enjoyed the immersive aspect of the program. It really blew me away just how much writing can be incorporated in everyday lifestyle, and the way Gina taught us it was perfect. Her style of teaching; the hands-on aspect of it, such as walking through some of the city of Pittsburgh to gain ideas for stories was amazing. The other students I worked with were just as enthusiastic as I was, and that made the entire experience so much more enjoyable. The classroom, while restricting at some points when each of us were longing to be outside in the sun more, was a nice room, clean, and it was comfortable. If I ever get the chance to work with Gina again, I will snap it up in a heartbeat, as her class was such a great experience. I hope our paths will cross again.
What is your 6-Word Autobiography:
Who knows where life takes us?

No comments:

Post a Comment