Saturday, September 20, 2014

Luminari Introduces New Ambassador Camp Director for 2015


LETTER FROM AMBASSADOR! DIRECTOR GINA CATANZARITE

I am thrilled to move into my new role as Director of the 2015 I Want to be an Ambassador! camp. While the Director role is new to me, the camp itself is not. I've been part of the Ambassador camp since its inception five years ago, both as a session presenter and as a supporter of Luminari and its mission to create ripple effects of positive change. I cannot wait to add a few ripples of my own, and to meet the next wave of aspiring young ambassadors who will join us in June 2015!

Those who know me from my "day job" as a writer and television producer are familiar with my love of inspiring quotations -- and I thought hard about just which one I'd like to include here to set the tone for next year's Ambassador! camp. My favorites range from luminaries in the world of politics to those in the arts, both modern-day and ones who made their marks in history.

So many wise words from which to choose... and yet the phrase that keeps playing through my head is this one: Diplomacy means handling the porcupine without feeling the quills.

I have no idea where that homespun little saying originated but it makes me smile. And it makes me think.

We live in a world filled with "quills" and day in and day out, citizens in our global community feel their sharp stabs of pain. Through improved communication, creativity, and collaboration, ambassadors of all kinds can ease suffering, promote peace, and find solutions to society's most pressing problems.

I look forward to spending the coming months working with community experts, teachers, and caring adults as we shape the Ambassador! camp curriculum and plan exciting elements for the Washington, D.C. excursion. Most of all, I look forward to spreading the word to our region's young people and encouraging them to join us in this exciting camp experience.

If you know a few teens with a tendency to lead the pack and solve the world's problems -- it's never too early to tell them about the I Want to be an Ambassador! camp. June 2015 will come around faster than we think. . . but then again, the future usually does.

All the best,
Gina Catanzarite

No comments:

Post a Comment