Saturday, March 26, 2016

Meet the 2016 Luminari Award Winners

Luminari is excited to announce the winners of its fifth annual Luminari Award: Emily Smith, an 8th grader at Propel/Mckeesport School, and Hao Nguyen, an 11th grader at Sto-Rox High School . Hao is the winner of the English as a Second Language award.



The competition was open to all schools in the Pittsburgh region. Emily and Hao will each receive a merit scholarship to attend the I Want to be an Ambassador!, a seven-day camp to master the skills of everyday diplomacy this summer. The scholarship has a value of over $1200.
***
Meet Hao “Brock” Nguyen
Brock, with his little bro, believes the I Want to
be an Ambassador! camp will be a stepping stone
to “meet new people and prepare for college.”















Seventeen year-old HAO NGUYEN was nominated by his teacher Jan Pressman to receive the Luminari Award for English as a Second Language (ESL) students. Hao and his family immigrated to the United States from Vietnam. While a student and athlete in Kansas, Hao got the nickname “Brock” from his wrestling coach and it just stuck “all my friends call me Brock,” he said. Sports are a passion because he loves to be active and outdoors, this year he started playing football for his new school Sto-Rox adding, “next year I will try hard to make the varsity team.”
What are your expectations for the 2016 “I Want to be an Ambassador! Camp?
My expectation for the 2016 “I want to be an Ambassador Camp” is that it will be fun and that I will learn a lot of skills that I can apply to my own life. I am really looking forward to meeting all these amazing people at camp.
What does “diplomacy” mean to you?
Diplomacy to me is when someone always tries to help people, compromises and strives to bring peace. Also, a person must be very brave and smart to follow the rules and choose to do what is right. One who leads the people beside him/her to success.
What does 2016 have in store for you (your future plans or career goals?)
 I think 2016 has something really special for me, but I have to work hard to get to it. My plan for next year is to graduate high school, do well on the SAT, and get accepted to Penn State. I want to study computer programming, but I will need a scholarship.
What/who inspires you and why?
My parents are an inspiration to me. They got me where I am today. They sacrifice way too much for my brother and me. I promised myself that I would work really hard so I can pay them back.
Tell us something others may not know about you?
I am a pretty quiet guy so people don’t know much about me. I can be really funny once I feel confident around you. I really love wrestling. I wrestled in 9th grade, and I’m in love with the game.
What are you currently reading?
I’m reading “The Samurai Never Fear Death”
What is your favorite movie?
My Favorite movie is “Dead Pool” 2016
What is your favorite hobby?
My hobby is hiking and being outdoors.
What are your top 3 food picks in Pittsburgh?
Top three foods in Pittsburgh that I like are The Northern Hamburger, Pho, and last but not least is Blowfish BBQ.
What are you looking forward to this summer?
I’m looking forward to summer because I love the hot weather so I can be outside more. This year I will attend the “I want to be Ambassador!” camp, which I am really looking forward to.
What is one thing you can’t live without?
The thing I cannot live without is my car. The car is like my best friend. It is also my transportation that takes me to my destination.
What is the quality you most value in a friend?
The quality I most value in a friend is loyalty.
What is the quality you most value in yourself?
The qualities I most value in myself is kindness and hard work.
Do you have a favorite quote?
The quote I live by is “Never give up on something that makes you who you are today” –Me.
What is your biggest pet peeve?
My biggest pet peeve is when I talk to someone and they don’t respond.
What is the most significant lesson you’ve learned?
The most significant lesson I learned is never take a short cut. Do what is right to be successful.
What project are you energized by?
I’m energized by wrestling.
My 6-word autobiography is:
Kind, Careful, Calm, Motivate, Hard-Worker, and last but not least Active

***
Meet Emily Smith
Emily hopes the I Want to be an Ambassador! camp will help her
“to become a role model for other young women.”











EMILY SMITH was nominated by educators Erik Bard, Americorp Member, and Amy Burrows, Assistant Director of Afterschool Programs, Propel McKeesport because she “is constantly demonstrating the ‘Life Habits Towards Greatness’ that represent our school’s culture. She models what a star student should look like each and every day.  She is a well read student who enjoys literature,” said Mr. Bard. 
“In fact, she always has a book on her to read during down time.  We feel that Emily cares about her education and doing her best. We know that she will learn many important life skills at the Luminari I Want to be an Ambassador Camp. We believe that she will utilize those skills in her daily routines and grow as a role model for others,” added Ms. Burrows.
Fourteen year old, Emily is involved in her local youth group and STEM program. Her favorite subjects are History and Science, and she is currently participating in a grade-wide business plan competition. After high school, Emily plans to major in human services in college.
What are your expectations for the 2016 I Want to be an Ambassador! Camp?
I would like to meet new people and have new and exciting experiences.
What are you currently reading?
I am reading “Half Bad” by Sally Green
What is your favorite movie?
It is the original “Ring” made in Japan
What is your favorite hobby?
I enjoy reading, and I participated in the Battle of the Books competition.
My 6-word autobiography is:
Energetic, Lovable, Sensitive, Mature, Kind, and Expressive.


No comments:

Post a Comment