Friday, November 20, 2015

TAKE 2: ACTIVE EATING ADVICE with Leslie Bonci

by Leslie Bonci, Director, Camp Delicious!


For 25 years, I had the opportunity to work at UPMC, both at Falk Clinic and then at the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine as the director of Sports Nutrition. The job was demanding, time consuming but incredibly rewarding. This summer, I decided that it was time for something new. Working with athletes, especially those in the pros can be glamorous, but not necessarily impactful.



As I try to define the next phase of my career, it is about legacy. Give to, give back and give on. So what have I decided to do?

I started my own company: Active Eating Advice: Be Fit, Fed and Fearless! I took office space in Squirrel Hill near my home.







I am doing a lot of consulting with industry, developing recipes, doing speaking engagements and also working to design new products. I have also been busy with TV and radio and creating videos.

And I still work with athletes, at Carnegie Mellon University, the Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays and Kansas City Chiefs, and of course the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater.








Writing is my passion, and I have signed on with Wiley to write the next “ For Dummies” book on Gut Health. I am also writing a monthly blog for US News and World Report Eat + Run column, and articles for magazines and commodity boards.

Agriculture and food waste are key areas of concern for all of us, and learning more about farms, food production, and environmental concerns helps me to be a better nutrition professional.





However, my most exciting endeavor has been with Come Ready Nutrition. I am the Chief Nutrition Officer and have been able to hire a staff of dietitians to provide programming at our Come Ready Kitchen. Classes range from Appliance Boot Camp to Conquering your fear of food and the classes take place in our gorgeous new kitchen housed in a 150 year old barn in Wexford, how cool is that!


The space is comfortable, inviting and safe and we will be offering cooking classes, exercise classes, seminars and hosting events, retreats, pre game meals and perhaps sleepovers with cook-ins! The next phase will be to build the greenhouse with step down gardens so we can grow outside and bring what we cultivate into the pots to create in the kitchen.






And I have the opportunity to join forces with Chef Lisa Silberg who was the co-director of Camp Delicious! in 2014. She and I will partner again for the 2016 Camp Delicious!

I am also doing recipe creation for the California Dried Plum Board. I have included one of the recipes I created that is based on a dish I had at a Lebanese restaurant in New York City. It is made from Brussel Sprouts, dried plum puree and walnuts. Delicious!

Enjoy!


QUIT POUTING, GET SPROUTING!
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH PRUNE PUREE, HARISSA AND WALNUTS

1 pound Brussel sprouts, washed, stems cut off,  outer leaves removed  and cut tin half
2 Tablespoons olive oil
¾ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon harissa paste
1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons plum puree*
½ teaspoon honey
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil. In a bowl, combine Brussel sprout halves, olive oil, salt, pepper and Harissa paste. Mix until blended. Place Brussel sprouts on the cookie sheet and roast about 20 minutes. Check halfway through to flip them to ensure even cooking.
Remove from heat and add in Balsamic, plum puree, honey and walnuts.

Dried plum puree

1-1/3 cups dried plums
6 Tablespoons hot water

Blend in a blender or food processor until pureed. Keep in the refrigerator for up to one month.

Servings: 4 ½ cup servings

Per serving:
Calories: 170
Total Fat: 13.6 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 11.5 grams
Fiber: 4.95 grams
Sugar: 2.75 grams
Protein: 5.3 grams



No comments:

Post a Comment