Saturday, July 25, 2015

2015 Luminari Award (Teen Writer) Winning Entry

Written by Charis Allen
Merriam-Webster defines diversity as “the state of having people who are different races or who have different cultures in a group or organization.” Although, Webster dictionaries have been highly accredited, this definition is not entirely accurate. In this century, the word diversity has become synonymous with the word “ethnic” and therefore people associate the word diversity with racial differences. However, I would argue that diversity is not limited to race. Rather, diversity is differences in language, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, community origin, or any other entity in which people can be different in.  With this definition of diversity, it is clear to see why diverse perspectives are significant in public creative writing. Diversity in opinions and ideas are important because they can raise awareness about an issue, shape public opinion, and expose people to other perspectives. I would like my writing to do all of these things.
Poetry, one of my favorite art forms, is often used creatively to communicate a political or social issue. In a poem submitted anonymously to the Dare2Care Poetry Competition, the poet tackles the issue of parents accepting their children for who they are. The poem titled “With Roses in Hand” talks about the emotional difficulty of telling your parents, who has assumed you were straight, that you are not. This creative writing exposes readers, like me, to the perspective and experiences of another individual. This poem has given me a deeper empathy for gay teens, who may be dealing with this. Also, the view expressed in this poem is different than my experiences and of the experiences of other authors that I have read. The diverse opinion expressed is significant for multiple reasons. Specifically, for me, this poem had the power to evoke within me a new feeling, educate me on the issues faced by other people, and has made me more sensitive.
2015 Teen Writer! Fantastic Fiction
After the Civil War, former slaves were emancipated and tensions arose between white supremacists, who sought to maintain a hierarchy, and African Americans who wanted to reclaim their rights. In efforts to make white supremacy felt, lynching was used to kill African Americans. This national phenomenon was written about by authors who condemned lynching.  For example, Ida B. Wells, born in Holly Springs Mississippi, was a strong advocate against lynching. Her books On Lynchings and The Red Record: Tabulated Statistics and Alleged Causes of Lynching in the United States sent reverberations through the nation.  It informed the national audience about lynching, the hatred that caused it, and how often black Americans were murdered for exercising their rights.  It caused people to think critically about the social consequences of white supremacy and made them reevaluate what the phrase “all men are created equal” meant, for all citizens. In this way, Wells was able to shape public opinion about lynching. With this book she was also able to expose Americans who were not aware of lynching, to the issue. Her assessments of facts on lynching were then interpreted by a national audience and they then were able to craft their opinion, around her writings.  Her diverse opinion was a significant contribution to the anti-lynching movement. Ida B. Wells had a different opinion on lynching, than the majority population of Mississippi. Her creative yet factual portrayals of lynching were a potent shaper of Walter Francis White’s position on lynching, who later was a strong voice in the Brown v. Board of Education Case. I want my writing to have same influence on American history and opinion that Wells had.

I would like my readers to have the same kind of emotional response that I had, when I read “With Roses In Hand”. Not only did the poem make me more aware about the struggles other people face, but it also caused me to reflect on my role in that issue and what I can do to help. I want my works to evoke emotions and make the reader feel an obligation to the issue and the people affected by it. Similar to Ida B. Wells, I want my historical writings to be factual, yet present information in a creative way that engages the reader. Both of these authors were luminary individuals who had honest convictions about what they were writing about and had profoundly distinct writing styles. In order to have the same power that their writing yielded, I need to find out what makes me a luminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment