Monday, May 25, 2015

Luminari Award Winner Rohit Nandakumar

Meet one of our 2015 Luminari Award Merit scholars, Rohit Nandakumar, a freshman at Fox Chapel Area High School. Rohit plays tennis and is involved in the Technology Student Association (TSA), Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), and the Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA). Rohit's other interests include computer programming and playing the violin.

Rohit was nominated by Mrs. Jennifer Klein, who teaches AP US, Government and Politics and the Gifted Support program at Fox Chapel Area High School: “I nominated Rohit because of his wonderful essay and his diligence in continuing to apply year after year. Rohit expressed a strong desire to learn about foreign relations and diplomacy. Since he applied three years in a row, I was thrilled that he was awarded this opportunity.”

“The ‘I want to be an Ambassador!’ program is a special opportunity that encourages student involvement in the global community and fosters a dynamic environment in which students can grow. Fox Chapel Area High School students who have attended in the past, have truly enjoyed the program for the scholarly speakers, simulations, and real world experiences that were made available through the camp,” said Mrs. Klein.

Q & A with Rohit: 

What your expectations for the 2015 “I Want to be an Ambassador!” Camp?
“In the I Want to be an Ambassador program, I hope to gain the necessary leadership and speaking skills to help me achieve my future endeavors. As a rising sophomore, I hope to learn new and exciting skills at this camp that will be a stepping stone into other opportunities.”
“I would like to learn about diplomacy a little bit more. I am already interested in government and global affairs, but I have the urge to learn more.  It will be exciting to visit embassies and how everything works in politics, which is why I was interested in participating in this summer program. I can't wait to go on the trip to Washington D.C.!”
 What does “diplomacy” mean to you?
I feel like diplomacy means to tactfully communicate to someone to help solve issues and develop meaningful relationships.
What does 2015 have in store for you (or what are your future plans/career goals)?
I would like to major in computer science.
What/Who inspires you and why?
Someone who inspires me is Steve Jobs.  He showed that no matter how low your life gets, you can always pick yourself up and catapult to success.
Can you share something with us that people may not know about you?
I love to program.  It's what I do for fun sometimes if I have nothing to do.
  1. I’m currently reading: Romeo and Juliet (for school)
  2. My favorite movie of all time: The Bourne Series
  3. My favorite hobby: Programming
  4. My top 3 food picks in Pittsburgh are: Primanti Bros, The Original Hot Dog Shop, Olive Garden
  5. I’m looking forward to summer because: School ends!
  6. Thing I cannot live without: My family
  7. The quality I most value in my friends: They are trusting and faithful
  8. The quality I most value in myself: Being responsible
  9. The quote or mantra I live by: By Steve Jobs: "My favorite things in life don't cost any money.  It's clear that the most precious resource we have is time."
  10. My biggest pet peeve: People with a short temper
  11. My most significant lesson learned: Always use your time to your fullest; you won’t get this exact minute ever again
  12. Project I’m energized by: Something that motivates me to get up and do something is that aftermath of that.  I think about how much time that I will have after I finish my work, and how I can do whatever I want with it.

6-Word Autobiography
Cool, nice, smart, tactful, happy teenager

No comments:

Post a Comment