Saturday, November 22, 2014

Where are they now? Ambassador Alum Dorian Epps

Dorian (pictured second from the LEFT) with his fellow I Want to be an
Ambassador!
 camp members touring Washington D.C. in 2013.
We caught up with Dorian Epps, a 2013 I Want to be an Ambassador! camp alum, who has been extremely busy putting his diplomacy and leadership skills to the test. This past summer, Dorian started his first job as a production intern with Quantum Theatre. He also got into the entrepreneurial spirit by launching his own lawn care business. And this fall he created the fist-ever Art Club for his school by rallying his classmates interested in the arts to assemble!

Dorian credits Luminari and the I Want to be an Ambassador! camp with giving him the skills and empowering him to be the driving force behind positive changes both personally and for his community. Of the camp Dorian said, "So really after the program, I learned how to be a leader by taking on bigger responsibilities."

What does “diplomacy” mean to you?
Diplomacy is learning how to keep relations with other people. Possibly even maintain relations between yourself and all other cultures, religions, and ethnic groups.
What’s the most important lesson you’ve ever learned?
I learned the importance of not losing yourself in the process of life something a friend of mine always said. It's a big deal because if you have no idea who you are, you will never know what you can accomplish. Live life the way you think best fits you because that's the only way you'll be able to enjoy the little things and opportunities given to you.
What do you hope to accomplish in the coming year and what are your future plans/career goals?
I want to become successful this year. I want to increase my understanding of the world and work better with all of those who are a part of my life. Career wise, I want to attend college and major in industrial design because of mt artistic abilities and passion, or perhaps major in film making and production for the same reason.
How would you describe yourself in three words?
Never Done Growing
By this I mean knowledge, which I will continue to nurture and embrace. I am going to grow physically as well, I'm 6'3" now, but mentally, emotionally, physically, etc. I just know that I will always continue to grow.
What was the funniest thing you have ever experienced?
Dorian with one of his sketches in 2013. 
Probably the time that I went on the trip to DC with Luminari, and we spent an hour or so looking for a Starbucks that was just down a street. When we finally found it, placed our order, and then got lost walking back to the hotel.
Can you share something with us that people may not know about you?
I have a passion for drawing. I can't live without drawing, or doing anything art related really.
For those just learning about Luminari, what’s the one thing they should know to get them involved?
It changes your life. If you love adventures, if you love learning about how to lead people... If you just love doing things to help benefit not only yourself but the entire community or even the world, Luminari allows you to express that. You make new friends, and you create bonds that will hopefully last for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment