Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Meet Luminari Award Scholar: David Taesan Han


David Han is one of our five 2014 Luminari Award Scholars. David is a freshman at Fox Chapel Area High School and an aspiring biologist, journalist, and environmentalist. He enjoys reading, writing, and exploring the natural world. David also is a member of the Pittsburgh Youth Chamber Orchestra, where he plays the cello, and a member of his school’s crew and cross country teams.

David’s 6-word Biography
I aspire to humility, compassion, curiosity.

What are your expectations for the 2014 “I Want to be an Ambassador!” Camp? 
I expect an exciting and educational experience at the camp, as well as to meet other students who share my interests.

What does “diplomacy” mean to you?
To me, diplomacy means advocating for a cause respectfully and intelligently, considering the needs of other parties involved.

What does 2014 have in store for you? What are your future plans/career goals? 
This year, I hope to found a National Geographic/Environmental Club at my school, and become involved with APYA and the Out of Eden Walk program. In the future, I would like to be a biologist/ecologist and science writer: an ambassador for scientific education and climate reform.

I’m currently reading:
Two books - “The Species Seekers” by Richard Conniff and “The Unconquered” by Scott Wallace

My favorite movie of all time: Spielberg’s “Lincoln”

My favorite hobby: photography

My favorite Pittsburgh restaurants include: The Ramen Bar, The Green Mango, and the Double Wide Grill

I’m looking forward to summer because:
I will have more free time to explore my extracurricular interests

Thing I cannot live without: the support of my family and friends

Quality I most value in friends: integrity

Quality I most value in myself: integrity

Quote or mantra I live by: “You are capable of more than you know. Choose a goal that seems right for you and strive to be the best, however hard the path. Aim high. Behave honorably. Prepare to be alone at times, and to endure failure. Persist! The world needs all you can give.”    - E.O. Wilson

My biggest pet peeve: intentional ignorance and dishonesty

My most significant lesson learned: that I should no longer be intimidated by large projects and assignments

Project I'm energized by: The Out of Eden Walk project

Join David Han this summer during the 2014 “I want to be an Ambassador!” camp. To learn more call 412-877-1888 or visit www.luminari.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment